thebigtop-blog: My guide to Live at Leeds 2013

My guide to Live at Leeds 2013




It's that time of year again, when all our favourite venues coordinate their efforts to put on the city-wide festival Live at Leeds. I've been looking through my Live at Leeds schedule, trying to work out my 'plan of action' for the day. This has thrown up the usual mix of issues; multiple bands that I want to see all on at the same time, gaps where I'm not sure who to see and working out if its worth going from 1 side of the city to watch 1 band, only to hot-tail back to the other side for the next band!

So here is my little guide to what I think is a worthwhile way of using your wristband... feel free to disagree. I've also made a YouTube playlist of everyone on the list which you can watch HERE

12pm – Lone Wolf - Milo
So I'll be starting the day at 12pm at Milo to catch the brilliant Lone Wolf aka Paul Marshall, I bought Lone Wolf's album 'The Lovers' when it was released and loved it immediately, though I'm still to catch him live.



1pm – Harry George Johns - Holy Trinity
Former Dinosaur Pile-Up bassist Harry George Johns is opening up the day at Holy Trinity Church. His latest EP 'Post Breakdown Blues' is a very emotive heart on sleeve affair, and Holy Trinity Church is just the perfect venue for the haunting lyrics... this should be good.



2pm – Backyards – The Wardrobe
Backyards are one of my favourite Leeds bands, they have a really 'full' sound, with a rhythm section proving a driving force that is countered perfectly with lilting violin and soaring vocals.



3pm – Happy Daggers – Leeds Met Stage 2
Happy Daggers played our Freak Out show last month and blew everyone away... providing a mix of good vibes but with a mean edge, after an early afternoon of gentle music they will get the party started.



Next is my first real dilemma of the day; Post War Glamour Girls, Dinosaur Pile-Up, Witch Hunt and China Rats are all on more or less at the same time. I still don't know what I'm going to do here, but you can't really go wrong with any of these bands, check them all out and make your own decision.

4.30 – Post War Glamour Girls – Leeds Uni Stylus



4.45 – Dinosaur Pile-Up – Leeds Uni Refectory



5pm – Witch Hunt – Leeds Met Stage 2



5pm – China Rats – The Cockpit



It's round about now that in previous years I’ve realised that it's been quite a while since I’ve had anything to eat and head for some well earned grub.

7pm – Heart-Ships – Leeds Met Stage 2
I saw Heart-Ships play at the Brudenell Social Club a couple of years ago and they were incredible. I hadn't really heard of them before as I was there to see another band, but I marched immediately to the merch stand after their set to buy their single/EP/album, only to learn that they hadn't recorded anything yet! This time I'll definitely make sure I pick up their new EP.



9.30 – Cry baby Cry – Milo
This is a new project from Rosie Doonan and Jonny Firth, I've heard them practising a couple of times and it sounds really good, I'm looking forward to seeing this live.

Unfortunately they don't have any videos/recordings yet, but this is one of Rosie's other projects; Rose & The Howling North.



10pm – Micky P Kerr – Milo
I've got a 7” of Micky P Kerr's 'Susan May' and it's proved to be a favourite of mine, I think I’ve nearly worn the vinyl away. Micky P Kerr is quirky and fun but with a sincere edge, performing beautifully crafted songs.



Now for my final dilemma of the day... Do I watch Everything Everything at the Leeds Uni Refectory or Sky Larkin at the Leeds Uni Mine? One month ago this wouldn't of even been up for debate, Sky Larkin are fantastic, they have great songs and their performances are always top class, I would recommend them to anyone any time. But I have recently bought the Everything Everything Album and have really been enjoying it, and I was looking forward to seeing them at Live at Leeds. I think I'll end up watching Sky Larkin, I know they'll be great and it'll be a brilliant way to end the day.

11pm – Sky Larkin – Leeds Uni Mine



So that’s it, my guide to who to watch at Live at Leeds 2013, this is in no way a definitive list of where I will be and when, one of the best things about Live at Leeds is wondering into random places and seeing someone new that's so good you end up missing a band you were looking forward to seeing. There's loads of bands that haven’t made this list who I would definitely recommend seeing; Sam Barrett, Mi Mye, Richard Petch, X-Ray Cat Trio, Kleine Schweine, Castrovalva, These Monsters, Hawk Eyes, Dutch Uncles, Swimming Lessons, Laura Mvula, Battle Lines, Dancing Years, Pete Roe and Marsicans to name just a few.

And this is by no means the start and end of the Live at Leeds festivities, with lots of gigs happening on the Friday and Sunday, the Un-Conference and of course the Live at Leeds Football tournament on the Monday, it's an incredibly busy weekend for all Leeds music lovers.... See you all there.

Post a Comment