thebigtop-blog: My day at Live at Leeds 2013.

My day at Live at Leeds 2013.


OK, so I’m a little late with my write-up of the Live at Leeds Festival, it's been a busy week and I figure better late than never? I was more prepared for the day this year than I have been in previous years, usually I turn up on the day and meander around seeing whoever I feel like at the time... but not this year, this year I had a plan! I poured over my schedule, circling all the bands I’d like to see and made hard decisions where clashes appeared. I was so confident of my plan I even wrote a blog post telling people what my schedule for the day was. As it happens I wasn’t too far off and got to see most of the bands on my list and a few extras to boot. I did take some photo's of all the bands I saw, but unfortunately they were taken with my camera phone, using my unskilled (and increasingly drunken) hands, so I thougt i best not to share them. If you wish to see some excellent photo's of the day, I recommend iLikePress's collection here.

So without any further delay, here is my Live at Leeds 2013 story.

I started off the day by missing the bus and not getting to the wristband exchange until just before midday, 'not too bad' I hear you say, but I really wanted to watch Lone Wolf who started at 12 and this was a serious spanner in the works. There was a queue for wristbands, but thankfully it was very fast moving. Am I the only one who finds the whole wristband exchange very frustrating? I realise the reasons for it, but I can imagine if the first band you wanted to see was at The Brudenell and you had to go into town, just to come back out, that would be quite annoying.

By the time I got to Milo the upstairs room was packed, with people spilling out of the door and onto the stairs... needless to say Lone Wolf still tops my list of local bands I really like, but haven't yet seen. Instead I went downstairs and watched Serious Sam Barrett and David Broad.

Sam has a sound unlike anyone else in Leeds, with a jangly 12 string guitar plucking away the sounds of the American south. The sound is completed with David Broad playing another guitar and providing harmony vocals that counter Sam's perfectly... I'll definitely be going to See Serious Sam Barrett again.

After the unexpected pleasure of Sam Barrett I got myself back on track by heading over to Holy Trinity for Harry George Johns.

This year they've taken the pews out of Holy Trinity Church, which I think is a real shame as it seems to of lost some of the reverent atmosphere it has had a gigs I've been to previously, and the big Fosters beer tent just seemed tacky inside such an amazing building. Harry was everything I was expecting him to be, his heartfelt lyrics telling the story of an obviously difficult period in his life. It's not easy to put your feelings on display as much as Harry has, and he managed to keep the atmosphere from getting dreary with the injection of humour between songs announcing “the next song is a sad one, then I've got 2 more sad songs then I'm going to finish with the saddest song”. I recommend checking out Harry's album 'Post Breakdown Blues', but beware, don't listen to it with any sharp object around.

On my way to The Wardrobe I called back into Milo to watch 10 minutes of Richard Petch.

I hadn't really heard much of Richard Petch before, so I didn't really know what to expect, what I got was a very complete sound, with synths and guitar overlapping to create sound somewhere between electro-pop and indie... I was disappointed to have to leave after 10 mins.

Now to The Wardrobe to see a favourite of mine Backyards.

I've seen Backyards several times, I know the band really well and it's no secret that I’m a fan of their work. Their sound ticks every box for me, they have strong rhythm section pounding along keeping movement, guitars cutting and jangling creating tension, vocals and violin creating soundscapes that make you want to lie down, close your eyes and soak it all in, and lyrics that while I’m often not sure what they are trying say, I know they are trying to say something. If there is one thing that for me has always been missing with the band, its that they've always looked slightly uneasy on stage, and this can transfer to the audience. I'm pleased to say that they looked very comfortable on The Wardrobe stage and delivered what has to be the strongest performance I’ve ever seen from them.

Next was our biggest trek of the day to Leeds Met Uni (via Greggs) to catch Happy Daggers.

Happy Daggers are a fun party band, and boy was the party going in Leeds Met! The room was packed and we had to fight ourselves into a good position, but it was worth it, the boys were on top form. Blending soul, funk, indie and rock Happy Daggers have a sound and stage presence that is there to be enjoyed and refuses to allow you to stand still. They also win the prize for the sweatiest band of the day... I'm guessing it was hot up there?

Now the short journey to Leeds University Refectory to see some old friends that I haven't seen in while Dinosaur Pile-Up.

Dinosaur Pile-Up were everything you expect them to be: massive drums, killer riffs, great melodies and catchy tunes. The comparisons with bands like Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Wheezer are obvious, but I don't see that as a problem, DPU still get good play time on my iPod and I’m looking forward to the new album. My one complaint would be that even though they only played for half and hour, my ears were ringing and I was happy to get outside to give them a rest. I don't know whether that was the fault of the venue or the tone of the guitar (which is very ear piercing), but I do know when I go see them at The Brudenell in July I will be taking my earplugs.

Next it was time for some food, we went to The New Conservatory and I had an amazing home made fish finger sandwich... yum yum.

Now back to Holy Trinity Church for Dancing Years.

This is where the pros and cons of removing the pews are displayed, the church is packed with way more people than pews would allow, but rather than everyone watching in silence while gazing around the venue in solemn reflection, there was lots of chatting and drunken shenanigans... in short, it was a standard gig. This shouldn't take away from Dancing Years though, who were great. They have wonderful folk songs that build into huge compositions that sound incredible in Holy Trinity's huge acoustics. Will definitely be looking forward to seeing these guys again.

On now back to Milo to see Crybaby Cry

I knew these guys were going to be good, Rosie's voice is incredible and mixed with Johnny's guitars they played a great set. There were lots of cries after they finished for an encore, which was the only time I saw that happen all day... the crowd has spoken!

Upstairs now to watch Micky P Kerr

How to describe Micky P Kerr... A musician, a comedian, a shambles? These are all probably acceptable adjectives to describe a man who proudly sings about been banned for life from Morrisons. This was definitely the most I laughed all day, Micky has a natural humour that permeates everything about his performance. He starts off with some poetry, which is both clever and funny, before moving onto playing some songs. He's not all about being funny though as he starts off the music with his song 'Susan May' which is a very touching song. He obviously has quite a loyal following, as many of the audience seem to know his songs very well, and are ready on cue when it's time for audience responses. I'll be seeking out Micky P Kerr again in the future.... 'Fuck Morrisons'.

Now for the final act of the day, I’m up to the Leeds University Mine for Sky Larkin.

I've seen Sky Larkin a couple of times, so I knew what to expect.... and they delivered! With a mix of new and old songs they belted out a great set. Nester's drums rocked through the Mine's long room, pounding the heartbeat of the songs into a very appreciative (if surprisingly sparse) crowd. I've listened to their first album 'The Golden Spike' a lot, but for some reason never got around to buying 'Kaleide', a regret which intensifies while I watch the band as I regret not recognising more of the songs... I think I may have to head into Jumbo this week and correct that mistake.

It's been an incredible day at Live at Leeds, probably my favourite ever, I got to see most of the bands I wanted to see and didn't witness a dud all day. This year did seem busier than previous years, but with the exception of Lone Wolf first thing I didn't have to queue once, although we had planned on going to see 1975 at The Cockpit, but were told there was no point as the queues were huge. All in all... a successful day, I’m looking forward to next year.

Post a Comment